Thursday, June 14, 2007

London to Paris bike ride ...blurred lines

One of the interesting things about comparing life in the accountancy profession and life with Christian Aid is how both of them blur the lines between personal and work lives. With the profession it was simply that you were expected to do lots of evening functions to network and generate new work, read up on technical stuff in your spare time, and of course respond to unreasonable client demands at any time of day (or sometimes at night!) You accept it because the rewards are good - and it basically comes with the territory. It tends to be a bit of a begrudging acceptance though.

The chief difference at Christian Aid is its all about wanting to make a difference - I don't do the job for the money alone (no one would, honest!), or for status or any of those other things life as tax partner provided...but "to do my bit" (although sometimes at the end of a day I ask myself what have I done to day to help ...and don't like the answer!!)

But - that attitude - and coming into the job having spent years as a volunteer doing stuff in my own time anyway - means the lines get blurred. I enjoy reading about development issues and faith issues insofar as they relate to social justice ....and I do that in my own time with no resentment at all. Add to the mix the fact that a lot of my work is evening and weekend anyway, so I find myself working in traditionally free time and vice versa...and sometimes I have to sit back and realise that its takin too much of my time up.

I suppose agreeing to do the London to Paris cycle ride as a volunteer effectively is a great example of that - but I'm going to do it anyway! I'm hoping to raise £2,500 for the work of Christian Aid. A drop in the ocean, but I think its good for staff members to do the kind of things volunteers get up to. I have set up a justgiving web site for anyone who wants to sponsor me - leave a comment (you shouldn't have to register any more) and I will find a way of getting the specific address to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home